1896 – CODY, WY IS FOUNDED
Incorporated in 1901 and located 52 miles from Yellowstone National Park’s east entrance. Cody was founded in 1896 by Colonel William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, who passed through the region in the 1870s. He was so impressed by the development possibilities of irrigation, rich soil, grand scenery, hunting, and proximity to Yellowstone National Park that he returned in the mid-1890s to start a town. He brought with him men whose names still adorn street signs in Cody’s downtown area: Beck, Alger, Rumsey, Bleistein, and Salsbury.
1915 – DR. BENNETT ESTABLISHES JEWELRY & DRUG STORE
In Cody for Dr. Bennett it was life in the fast lane, not just in his high-powered motor cars in which he had numerous single car accidents as a result of driving too fast on the narrow bad roads of the time, but in his business and personal life. He served at different times on the school board, as Mayor of Cody, legislator and was appointed County Health Officer. He established a medical practice and owned a drugstore and jewelry store. He was on the official welcoming party for Prince Albert of Monaco. and New York Mayor John Purroy Mitchel(1879-1918), the “Boy Mayor.”
1994 – SEIDEL’S SADDELRY
A saddle maker and leather craftsman, Keith Seidel builds functional art pieces that include saddles, briefcases, desk accessories, belts, gun leather, among other specialty items at Seidel’s Saddlery, his historic downtown Cody, Wyoming location. Keith started working leather as a young boy while helping his family raise and train Morgan horses. Countless hours horseback forged the understanding of saddle fit, function, balance, and comfort. He was privileged to work with, and be influenced by, many notable master saddle makers in some of the most prestigious saddle shops, while learning and developing new skills and techniques. With a deep commitment to fine craftsmanship, he believes that decoration is secondary to function, and yet there is pure poetry when both function and beauty can exist simultaneously.
2016 – ANNIE’S SODA SALOON
“For the quintessential Old West experience, stop by Annie’s Soda Saloon & Cafe in Cody. In true saloon fashion, guests can grab a barstool and order one of the many sodas made with pure cane sugar — after viewing a Wild West shootout re-enactment in town. You really can’t go wrong with a Raspberry Rattler, topped off with a scoop of ice cream. Housed in a historical building, the saloon actually served as a drugstore with a soda fountain and jewelry store back in the day, inspiring owner Jeanette Prosceno to open up the shop and keep the old-fashioned soda shop tradition alive.” – The Food Network